If you love quesadillas, you’ll lose your mind over this juicy Ibérico Coppa Carnitas-filled version. Serve it with a dollop of guac or sour cream, or go crazy with your favorite hot sauce.
- 1 31-42 oz. Campo Grande Ibérico Coppa
- 4 ¼ cups orange juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoon red meat rub
- 1 white onion
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 lb cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- 2 red onions, thinly slices
- 20 flour tortillas
- Heat grill to 250ºF. Cook coppa for 3 hours on grill (covered), basting it with orange juice every hour and flipping to help cook evenly.
- After 3 hours, place the coppa in a deep metal baking pan with remaining orange juice, white onion, garlic, and red rub. Cover the pan with foil and cook for another 3 hours (covered), until the meat falls apart and you can easily shred it with your hands.
- Sauté the coppa carnitas with the barbecue sauce in a large pan until warm and mixed. Remove from the pan.
- Heat the tortillas in the same pan so they can soak up some of those remaining juices.
- To build the quesadillas, place a handful of cheese on one half a tortilla and add a spoonful of carnitas and a few slices of red onion on top. Close into a half moon and cook until the cheese is nice and melted. ¡Buen provecho!