A quick and caramelized porky appetizer is the perfect prelude to holiday dinners.
- Campo Grande Jowl Secreto
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- Ground black pepper
- Season the Jowl Secreto with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat and place the meat into the skillet fatty side down. No reason to add any additional grease here, the natural fat from the meat is all you need.
- Cook for 2 minutes until medium rare and flip to the other side.
- Sprinkle the top with sugar while in the pan and use a kitchen torch to caramelize, never leaving the torch in the same place for too long. The sugar should bubble and melt over the meat. This process will happen quickly, so be careful not to burn the sugar.
- Let the meat cook a few minutes longer in the pan and remove.
- Cut the Jowl Secreto into bite size pieces.
- Pour any remaining juices on the cutting board into a small pan with a pinch of salt and reduce.
- Serve Jowl Secreto bites with the sauce in individual one-bite soup spoons or on a tray with toothpicks. ¡Buen provecho!