In Spain, a good paella is always appetizing, and even more so when we get together with the family. On vacation, it is common to resort to competitions with the brothers-in-law to see who makes the best paella. There are thousands of different recipes but this seafood paella will surprise you with its amazing flavor. Making paella always seems more complex that it actually is so we encourage you to give this a try!
Serves 4 people
- European Hake
- Lubina (European Sea Bass)
- 1 or 2 prawns per person
- 500gr rice
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 green or red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbs of dry red pepper sauce or paprika
- 1 tbs saffron
- Fish broth
- Salt to taste
- Cut or grate the tomatoes, peppers and garlic.
- Bring the broth to a boil (it's very important that when it is added to the pan with the rice it's boiling so as not to break the cooking of the rice). The amount of broth is also key for the paella to turn out well. You need to use 3 times the amount of rice that is used (e.g. if you add a cup of rice, you have to add 3 cups of broth)
- In a pan fry the prawns, lubina and hake with enough oil and set aside. This will help leave the flavor in the oil that will then be used to do the rest.
- In the same pan add the tomatoes, peppers and garlic without removing the oil and fry until ready. Halfway through cooking add the pepper sauce or paprika.
- Once everything is well poached, add the rice and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the previously measured boiling broth, put the heat on high and leave for 8-9min on high heat and then the same amount of time on low heat. If during cooking it dries out too quickly, you can add a little water. It is okay if the rice sticks to the pan a little, it leaves an exquisite flavor. In fact, in Spain there are many people who let it stick on purpose.
- Halfway through cooking add the coquinas so that they open and add flavor to the rice.
- When it is about to be ready, add the fish and prawns on top.
- Remove from the heat and let it stand for 5 minutes covered with kitchen cloth napkins.
- Serve and enjoy!