Flank steak is a very dry cut of beef, but if prepared properly, it can be very juicy. Usually flank steak is grilled, but a very new way to prepare it is in an air fryer. How is it done?
How to prepare flank steak in an air fryer
The air fryer is a very new invention that is increasingly being incorporated into many kitchens. Did you know that flank steak can also be prepared in this appliance? Although flank steak is a rather thick cut and, if not done correctly, can dry out, it is also possible to cook it in this novel device.
Flank steak is a thick, tough meat. But it can be tender as long as it is done properly; moreover, its flavor is very intense. To get the meat just right and with the degree of tenderness you are looking for, you should pound it with a kitchen mallet before cooking; moreover, this cut is covered by a white membrane. Remove it before cooking! You can remove the membrane yourself with your hands or ask your butcher for help.
What is an air fryer? An air fryer works through convection heat. Thanks to this convection it is possible to simulate the frying that occurs when, for example, you dip food in oil. At the same time, a fan circulates the hot air that this appliance needs, at high speed. Thanks to the high temperatures involved, a crispy coating is produced on the food.
Flank steak is usually prepared on the grill and very quickly. If you don't have a grill, you can use a griddle or frying pan, as long as it is very hot, and also an air fryer. What do you need? First of all, remember to follow the manufacturer instructions and recommendations for your air fryer.
- ⅓ cup of extra virgin olive oil.
- Two tablespoons of soy.
- Two tablespoons of brown sugar.
- The juice of one lime.
- Four cloves of garlic.
- One green bell pepper.
- One teaspoon of salt.
- A sprig of chopped fresh coriander.
- One teaspoon of oregano.
- One teaspoon cumin.
- Half teaspoon of sweet paprika.
- Freshly ground black pepper.
- Flank steak.
- Place all the ingredients in an airtight food bag, except for the flank steak.
- Remember that the garlic and peppers should be finely chopped before placing them in the bag.
- The bag should be large enough to hold the flank steak.
- Once the ingredients are mixed, put the steak in the bag. You can mix the ingredients in a blender to avoid lumps.
- For this recipe it is advisable to leave the bag in the refrigerator with the flank steak for at least four hours. Halfway through this time, turn the bag once. Place it in the refrigerator on a flat surface.
- Half an hour before cooking, remove the steak from the bag and let it rest on a plate to come to room temperature.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Place the flank steak in the air fryer and cook for three minutes.
- Turn the steak over. Use kitchen tongs to do this. Once flipped, cook for an additional three minutes. Keep in mind the doneness at which you like your steak. In the air fryer, for example, six minutes in total will be enough to get the meat rare. If you like medium rare, eight minutes and between 10 and 12 minutes for medium rare.
- Remove the flank steak from the air fryer and place it on a wooden cutting board.
- Cover the steak with foil to keep it warm. Remember that the meat is still cooking at this point.
- Let it rest for five to ten minutes before serving.
- Keep in mind that the temperature also influences the degree of doneness of the flank steak. If you want it rare, 130-135ºF (54-57ºC) will be necessary; for medium rare, then 135-145ºF (57-62ºC). If you go over this temperature, the steak will be drier and harder to chew.
Tips for cooking air fryer flank steak
In addition to keeping in mind the cooking temperature, it is advisable to marinate the meat for at least four hours. This type of meat has a coarse grain, which allows the marinade to soak into it easily. At the same time, a long marinating time allows the tougher fibers of the meat to break down. As a result, the steak will be much juicier and more tender.
As the meat is very lean, do not cook it for too long, otherwise it will become very dry and lose its natural cooking juices. Finally, don't forget to turn it over halfway through the cooking time.