Cod with Potatoes is a classic, timeless, and very traditional dish. It is one of the many ways to prepare cod, which is typically found in Portuguese or baked stews. The recipe of potatoes with codfish is very simple and easy to make, with traditional ingredients and a unique and incomparable flavor.
In addition, this recipe is great for serving with bread, as it is possible to dip the bread in the delicious sauce that the cod and potatoes produce.
- 500 grams of fresh desalted cod loin
- Three large potatoes
- One onion
- Two cloves of garlic
- One tomato
- 50 milliliters of dry white wine
- Two eggs
- 750 milliliters of fish broth
- Extra virgin olive oil
- A spoonful of sweet paprika
- Salt and ground black pepper
- A bay leaf
- First of all, dry the cod loins with kitchen paper, so that they do not splash when placing them in the frying pan.
- Place a drizzle of olive oil in a pan and heat. Once hot, cook the cod on both sides, turn and turn. The cod should not be cooked through, only browned slightly. Remove and set aside.
- Peel the onion and garlic, then chop finely.
- Add a little more oil to the pan in which you cooked the cod and poach the onion and garlic. This should take about ten minutes, but you will know it is ready because the onion will become a little transparent and the garlic will start to brown.
- While the garlic and onion are cooking, cut the tomato in half and grate it. You should discard the skin.
- When the onion and garlic are poached, add the tomato and turn up the heat.
- Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add a splash of white wine until the alcohol evaporates.
- Cut and peel the potatoes into pieces of about the same size.
- Add the potatoes to the casserole and sauté, stirring constantly, so that the potatoes soak up the oil and the mixture.
- After a few minutes, add the fish stock. The potatoes should be covered, but not floating in it. If the fish stock is not enough, then add a little hot water.
- In a small frying pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil and add the tablespoon of paprika. Stir and wait for it to toast.
- Remove the paprika from the heat and add it to the pot where the potatoes are cooking. To add it, you should move the pan a little, but without stirring to prevent the potatoes from breaking.
- Add the bay leaf.
- Cook the potatoes over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes. If you are not sure, you can prick the potatoes with a fork; you will know they are ready when they are tender.
- You can also cook the eggs in a separate pan. To do this, add plenty of salted water and cook the eggs for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain the water. You can add plenty of cold water to stop the cooking.
- Once the eggs are cold, peel and set aside.
- After 20 minutes from the time you added the potatoes to the casserole, season the mixture with salt and pepper and add the cod.
- Remove from the heat and cover.
- Leave the casserole to rest, so that the codfish finishes cooking and is impregnated with the flavor of the mixture.
- Cut the egg into pieces and place them in the dish where you will serve the cod.
- Serve the fish, accompanied by potatoes and the boiled egg. You can sprinkle fresh parsley and add teaspoons of the cooking broth for better flavor.
Tips for a perfect potatoes with cod recipe
Now that you know how to prepare potatoes with cod, you can follow a series of tips and tricks so that they are perfect and make your guests repeat the dish:
Although potatoes with cod are traditionally served with egg, you can also serve them with fried green bell pepper. This vegetable gives a different touch to the recipe. The bell pepper, if added, should be cut into julienne strips and sautéed with the onion and garlic.
One of the best ways to make a great potato stew with cod is to use fresh products, this includes homemade fish stock. This is very easy to prepare and can be stored frozen.
Remember that cooking the potatoes and making them tender as quickly as possible depends on the size of the pieces into which they have been cut. Remember to prick them from time to time to avoid overcooking, otherwise the potatoes will break.
- To desalinate the cod you should place it in the refrigerator, soaking it in cold water for two days. During this time it is necessary to change the water three or four times.