Do you want to enjoy a typical dish of Extremadura cuisine, with its rich flavor and crunchy texture? If so, we invite you to try our Extremaduran fried suckling pig recipe, a delicacy that will delight the most demanding palates. The suckling pig is a tender and juicy meat, seasoned with spices and paprika de la Vera and fried in plenty of extra virgin olive oil. The result is a golden and delicious portion of meat that can be served with fried potatoes or a fresh salad.
Its origins date back to when shepherds and farmers cooked simple and nutritious dishes from young pork, taking advantage of the resources of their land. As its name indicates, it is a typical dish of the gastronomy of Extremadura. This region stands out for the quality of its products and traditional recipes that reflect the history and culture of its inhabitants.
In addition, fried suckling pig is also beneficial for health because it is a protein, iron, zinc, and vitamin B source of high biological value. However, it should be consumed in moderation, as it is also rich in fat and cholesterol. For this reason, it is a traditional recipe usually prepared on special occasions, such as patron saint festivals or family gatherings.
To prepare this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 kg of chopped suckling pig
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of La Vera sweet bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 2 glasses of pitarra wine
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- The first step is to prepare the marinade for the meat. To do this, grind the garlic with the rosemary, thyme, basil, and salt in a mortar and pestle. Add four tablespoons of oil and mix well. Then, transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the wine and paprika. Stir everything together until well combined.
- Then, dip the suckling pig pieces into the marinade, ensuring they are evenly coated on all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours to allow the flavors to permeate the meat.
- After this time, drain the meat and fry it in a skillet with plenty of hot oil until browned and crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. You can do this in batches, depending on the pan size. When you remove the pieces, place them on paper towels to remove excess fat.
Among the best garnishes to accompany Extremaduran suckling pig, several interesting options exist. A quick and easy alternative is to prepare wild asparagus sautéed with butter and cream, giving the dish a light and creamy touch. Another side dish that goes well with suckling pig is sweet potato and cheese puree, which gives it a sweet and mild flavor.
On the other hand, if you want to take advantage of the oven, you can make roasted vegetables with carrots, potatoes, and onions that will be crispy and delicious. For the most exquisite, an original choice is the bell pepper and plum chutney, contrasting the sweet and sour flavor with the protein. You can also choose zucchini noodles sautéed with garlic, chili, and roasted suckling pig juice, giving you a different and exciting sensation.
The benefits of Extremaduran suckling pig are the following:
- It is a source of proteins of high biological value, which contributes to the maintenance and growth of muscle mass and body tissue.
- Contains iron, which helps prevent anemia and transport oxygen to the cells.
- It provides vitamin B12, which is involved in forming red blood cells, the functioning of the nervous system, and energy metabolism.
- It also contains other B vitamins, such as niacin and riboflavin, which help with the utilization of nutrients and the health of the skin, hair, and mucous membranes.
- It provides zinc, which promotes wound healing, the immune system, and fertility.
- It has a delicious flavor and a soft and succulent texture, which makes it a very appetizing dish.
However, the consumption of Extremadura suckling pig also has some considerations to take into account:
- It is a meat with a high content of saturated fat and cholesterol content, which can increase the risk of cardiovascular disease if consumed excessively or frequently.
- It has a high caloric intake, which can contribute to overweight and obesity if not accompanied by a balanced diet and regular physical activity.
This dish can be enjoyed occasionally as long as it is consumed in moderation and combined with other healthy foods, such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, or legumes. This way, you will be able to enjoy its benefits without giving up the pleasure of its flavor.
Having said all this, all you have to do is serve the crispy suckling pig with your favorite side dish and enjoy this traditional and delicious dish. Bon appetit!