How to cook pork belly on the grill
What is pancetta, and how is it best cooked? What recipes can you make with it? A great alternative is to grill it! It has a unique flavor that will surprise diners. Is it the same as bacon?
What is pancetta, and how can you prepare it?
One of the most common questions is whether pancetta and bacon are the same. The answer is yes, but at the same time, no. Pancetta and bacon are extracted from the animal's ventral muscles (belly), which is why it is called pancetta. It includes not only the muscles but also the skin.
Bacon has a somewhat complex composition since it is made up of skin and bacon, which provide the fat, but also a mixture of lean meat from the animal. That is why pancetta is both bacon and bacon at the same time. If you go to the supermarket, however, you will find that bacon is one product and bacon is another. In reality, it is the same thing!
What happens is that pancetta is the raw product, while bacon is the smoked bacon. The latter's flavor is much more intense and is cut into slices or cubes that are lightly cooked over a flame.
While sliced or diced bacon can be used for different recipes, such as hamburgers, scrambled eggs, or even pasta, pancetta has an additional preparation. Grilled bacon is delicious!
How to make grilled bacon?
If you are looking for an easy, quick, delicious, and crowd-pleasing recipe, we invite you to try grilled bacon. In addition, we tell you that it is one of the star dishes during the summer.
Once ready, the grilled bacon is cut into small steaks and served hot to the diners. You can serve it alone, but it is best served with sautéed vegetables or boiled potatoes.
- Two kilograms of bacon fillets.
- Coarse salt.
- Freshly ground black pepper.
- Garlic powder.
- Lemon juice.
- A sprig of fresh rosemary.
- It is best to let the bacon marinate a little with the other ingredients so that it takes on a unique flavor.
- Take the pancetta fillets and place them in a bowl, wide enough, with garlic powder (you can also use minced or crushed garlic), a pinch of salt and pepper, and the juice of a lemon and rosemary sprig. You can also use dried rosemary.
- You can keep the bowl in the refrigerator and let the pancetta marinate for an hour. Still, you can also marinate it outside the fridge until the pancetta comes to room temperature. Remember that tempering the meat is very important!
- Preheat the grill.
- Once the coals are hot, add the pancetta in the area furthest away from direct heat. It all depends on the type of grill you have and the model: in some cases, the heat source is in the center or on the sides.
- The bacon should also be placed skin-side up.
- Leave on the heat until the coating is golden brown.
- When it has acquired a golden color, it is time to put the pancetta closer to the fire, but this time, turning it upside down, i.e., skin side down.
- Let it cook until the skin of this cut is crispy. Be careful! It is essential to watch the meat closely; otherwise, the skin could burn.
- Remove the meat from the heat and serve.
What to accompany grilled bacon with?
The thing about grilled bacon is that it is a very versatile recipe. You can serve it alone to your guests, but you can also do it with lemon slices, which give it an exceptional touch.
It is also perfect to accompany a vegetable stir-fry, and why not? You can also grill the vegetables while the bacon is ready. But undoubtedly, one of the favorite ways to eat pancetta is in a sandwich.
Why do we say that grilled bacon is perfect for summer? Because if you have a beach plan with the family, there is nothing like a delicious grilled bacon sandwich. All you need is sandwich bread and the ingredients of your choice. You can add mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, and thinly sliced bacon, which will delight the little ones at home!
Prepare it before going out and wrap it in aluminum foil to help preserve the heat. Grilled bacon in a sandwich is an economical and versatile option for a picnic.