The bread with tomato is known as pa amb tomàquet, which is typical of Catalan gastronomy, and its name is pa amb tomàquet. It is a dish that has spread throughout Spain; today, you can find it anywhere. And how is pa amb tomàquet prepared?
What is tumaca bread?
This bread, so traditional in Catalan gastronomy, spread to Valencia, Aragon, the Balearic Islands, and Murcia, but in recent years, it has spread throughout Spain. But in recent years, it has spread throughout Spain and is a favorite breakfast or snack!
Bread with tomato or tumaca bread is prepared with ripe tomato and seasoned with olive oil, salt, and garlic; ham is also added in many cases.
This bread, which is very easy to make, is perfect for breakfast, and morning or afternoon snacks; it is also ideal for summer days in the sun and at the beach. You can also serve it as a starter for your guests. They will love it!
Bread with tomato and ham recipe
- Two medium tomatoes.
- Half a clove of garlic.
- Fresh or dried oregano.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Slices of Serrano or Iberian ham.
- A loaf of bread.
- Remember to take the ham out of the refrigerator, especially if your refrigerator is too cold. It is best to remove the ham and let it come to room temperature so that it is not hard when serving it to the guests.
- Peel the tomatoes and then grate them. You will have to place a plate underneath to take advantage of both the pulp and the juice of the tomatoes. If you do not have a grater at home, you can crush the tomatoes in a mortar or on a plate with the help of a knife and fork.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic. Keep in mind that garlic is optional, as not everyone likes its flavor; some garlic has a more intense flavor than others.
- Place the garlic in a deep dish and sprinkle some oregano (dried or fresh, finely chopped) on top, as well as a pinch of salt.
- Break the loaf of bread into more or less uniform pieces and cut them in half, separating them.
- Toast the bread. You can use the toaster, the sandwich maker, or the griddle or frying pan. How toasted should the bread be? This is up to each diner's taste since only some people like their bread too toasted. You can even give it just a little heat. You can also remove the excess bread crumbs.
- Mix the crushed tomato with the garlic, oregano, and garlic. Stir well so that all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Next, pour a drizzle of olive oil on the bread - be careful not to overdo it! The bread could become very oily. It is best to use extra virgin olive oil, which has an intense and delicious flavor.
- With the help of a spoon, spread the crushed tomato and the other ingredients on top of the bread with olive oil.
- Once the bread is ready, add a couple of slices of Serrano or Iberian ham.
Tips for making bread with tomato and ham
Use bread that is fresh from the day and has a soft texture. The traditional French baguette can be an excellent alternative to this recipe.
To warm the bread, as we have already mentioned, you can use any kitchen utensil, but you can also put the bread in the oven. This is a way to warm the bread without over-toasting it.
Removing the bread and covering it with aluminum foil or a clean kitchen towel is also advisable. This helps to keep the bread warm while you prepare the rest of the ingredients or while you are preparing to assemble the tumaca. Also, remember that you should only add the oil or tomato once ready to serve the bread to the guests. This is because the bread, with the humidity of the tomato and the oil, can become very soft immediately and break at the moment of eating it.
The way to prepare the tumaca (the mixture of garlic, tomato, and oregano) varies among the different recipes. Some people pass all these ingredients through a blender to obtain a thicker and more uniform mass, as well is easy to spread on the bread; you can also add olive oil to this mixture so that all the ingredients are very well integrated.
You must take into account the amount of salt you add. The best thing to do is to mix the ingredients and taste; remember that the Serrano or Iberian ham already has enough salt, so if you do not want this dish to be saltier than usual, be careful with the amount of salt!
Bread with tomato and ham is a perfect alternative to serve as a snack for children but also to offer as a starter at a more formal meal, which you can be sure your guests will love!