The Iberian fan is one of the unknown cuts of this breed of pork, but also one of the most delicious and easy to prepare. You can eat it alone and accompany it with the traditional fried potatoes, although it is also possible to serve it with vegetables and other garnishes and sauces. Dare to try some creations of the Iberian fan!
How to cook the Iberian fan better?
Because of its versatility, this meat cut can be cooked differently. You can bake it in the oven, grill it, pan-fry it or even use the barbecue or grill. In just a few minutes, you will have a delicious recipe for Iberian abanico that will delight the most demanding diners.
Ingredients for the preparation of Iberian fan with fine herbs
- Two Iberian pork fans.
- 40 grams of fresh fennel.
- 40 grams of fresh thyme.
- 40 grams of rosemary branch.
- 40 grams of chives.
- Four medium tomatoes.
- Coarse or flaked salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Remove the meat from the refrigerator so that it reaches room temperature and so that, at the time of cooking, it is not cooked on the outside but cold on the inside. If you have purchased the meat vacuum-packed, you must remove it from the packaging and let it breathe. This process will take approximately two hours.
- Once the meat is at room temperature, it is time to clean it. You can ask the butcher to do this for you, but if you need help, doing it at home is very simple. You will only need to remove all the fiber and fat from the meat. Use a sharp enough edge knife or even a pair of kitchen scissors.
- Once the Iberian fan is clean, season it with salt and pepper and let it rest.
- It is time to prepare the Provençal herbs, giving the meat a unique flavor. For this Iberian abanico recipe, you will need the spices to be fresh and not dried, as their taste is different.
- Place the herbs on a clean wooden board. Remember to wash them before cutting them.
- Chop the herbs finely with the help of a knife.
- In a tray or bowl, mix the herbs in equal parts.
- Cover the container with the herbs with damp kitchen paper until you use them. It is best to put them in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the frying pan, grill, or barbecue to high temperature.
- Remove the herbs from the refrigerator.
- Place the Iberian fan on the barbecue grill or the skillet or griddle pan for a couple of minutes on each side.
- Remember that if you use a griddle or frying pan, you will not need extra virgin olive oil, as the abanico ibérico releases enough fat. On the other hand, if you are using barbecue for this recipe, placing the grill at a distance of approximately 15 centimeters above the coals is advisable.
- Mark the fan on both sides and remove it from the fire.
- As hot as it is, coats the meat in the herb mixture.
- Cut into skinny strips immediately.
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters or thinner slices and dress them with extra virgin olive oil and a little salt.
It is time to serve the recipe to the guests. You can place the fan in strips on a central platter, accompanied by the tomato salad, or help each diner with a portion of Iberian fan strips and tomatoes.
If the tomato salad differs from everyone's liking, you can substitute it with other more traditional garnishes, such as fried or boiled potatoes; you can also accompany the Iberian fan with steamed vegetables or even eat it as fajitas.
Ingredients to prepare Iberian fan with wine
- Two Iberian fans.
- Half a kilo of potatoes.
- 500 milliliters of red wine (it can be for cooking or your preference).
- 100 grams of red fruits (you can buy them frozen).
- 40 grams of sugar.
- 40 milliliters of sweet white wine.
- 30 milliliters of extra virgin olive oil.
- Thyme in branch or dried.
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Once the meat is at room temperature, season to taste with salt and pepper and place in a tray or particular ovenproof container.
- Preheat the oven to 170º C for 25 minutes. Halfway through cooking, turn the meat over using tongs.
- Wash the potatoes very well and cut them into irregular pieces.
- Place them in a baking dish or tray and add salt, thyme, freshly ground black pepper, a dash of oil, and sweet wine.
- Bake the potatoes in the oven until golden brown and tender.
- Place the red wine and sugar in a pan. Mix and let it reduce over medium heat.
- Add the red berries to the mixture and cook for about five minutes.
- Once the sauce is ready, please remove it from the heat and pass it through a blender and strainer. If you like the texture, you can also consume it this way.