One of the most traditional Spanish recipes is deviled eggs. Although many people prepare them during the summer, it is a delicacy that can be served at any time of the year as a starter or in an informal cocktail. We will tell you how to make them!
Stuffed eggs recipes
Deviled eggs have the advantage of being filled with anything you fancy. That is why you can prepare an excellent variety for your guests at an informal lunch or dinner; they also serve as canapés.
We will tell you how to make the most traditional stuffed eggs in Spain, made with tuna, but we also want to give you ideas of other easy fillings to make at home. Take note!
Stuffed eggs with tuna
This classic recipe can be accompanied by homemade fried tomato sauce, although the original dish does not have tomato but mayonnaise. On the other hand, if you want to give a special touch to the deviled eggs, you can put them in the oven to provide them with a grilled and au gratin touch that will surprise all your guests.
- Six large eggs.
- Four cans of tuna in olive oil.
- Homemade fried tomato (optional)
- Aromatic herbs such as parsley, oregano, and thyme.
- Coarse salt.
- The first thing to do is cook the eggs to be hard-boiled. Fill a saucepan with plenty of cold water and place it on heat for about 10 minutes.
- Keeping the eggs on the heat long enough for the yolk to cook well. Once they are ready, leave the saucepan to cool. Alternatively, remove the eggs and place them in cold water to stop the cooking and to be able to handle them.
- Once they are cool, peel the eggs very carefully. Use a fork or knife to give a minor blow to break the shell.
- Open the eggs in half, making a horizontal cut, and remove the yolks.
- Reserve the yolks.
- Mix the tuna in olive oil with the mayonnaise or fried tomato to make the filling. Place the tuna and mayonnaise in a bowl and add the aromatic herbs and a pinch of salt.
- The yolks can be grated for decoration, but mixing them with tuna and mayonnaise is possible.
- Fill the eggs with the tuna and mayonnaise mixture and place them on a plate.
As a tip, spread a little mayonnaise on the plate or dish and place the egg on top. In this way, the egg will not move or tip over.
Store the eggs in the refrigerator or eat them immediately. But be careful. It is best to eat them immediately or take them out of the fridge just before eating them if it is sweltering.
You can decorate them with a drizzle of tomato sauce, grated egg yolk, chives, or aromatic herbs.
Also, if you want to give a different touch to the recipe, bake the eggs in the oven. To do this, preheat the oven to 180º C and sprinkle a little gratin cheese. Then, place the eggs in the oven (in the special tray or a suitable container) and remove them when the cheese has melted.
Be careful, as it is crucial to occasionally watch the eggs and remove them as soon as the cheese has melted.
Eggs stuffed with ensaladilla
Another alternative to make deviled eggs is to use a delicious and fresh ensaladilla. You can make the ensaladilla with tuna or chicken; choose the one you like the most!
- Six large eggs.
- One chicken breast or four cans of tuna in olive oil.
- One large potato.
- Two carrots.
- A tin of peas or pitted olives.
- Coarse salt.
- You must boil the breast if you decide to make the ensaladilla with chicken. You will only need water, salt, freshly ground black pepper, and a little cumin for flavor. If you prepare the salad with tuna, omit this step.
- In a separate saucepan, cook the potato and carrots. You can put the eggs in the same pot. Be careful, as the vegetables and eggs may have different cooking times, so removing them is essential, so they are not overcooked.
- Let all the ingredients cool down to be able to handle them. The potatoes and carrots should be peeled and finely chopped, while the chicken breast should be shredded. The eggs also need to be peeled and cut in half.
- Remove the egg yolks and set aside.
- Place the chicken, vegetables, and mayonnaise in a bowl and stir. This is when you add the can of peas or the pitted olives cut in quarters. Remember that if you make the ensaladilla with tuna, you must mix the cans with the vegetables here.
- Once the ingredients are mixed, fill the eggs with the salad.
- Decorate with a bit of grated egg yolk and serve to the guests.