As its name indicates, the top loin of veal is a cut that is extracted from the upper part of the loin or back of this animal. This is a fairly affordable and easy cut to cook, but you have to be careful, because if you want to enhance its flavor and get all the juice from the cut and make sure that the texture is soft and tender, you must marinate it and prepare it correctly.
How to marinate veal strip steak?
The secret of a good cut of veal, whatever it is, lies in its marinating and cooking time. Even to make grilled steaks, which are very easy, quick and simple, it is necessary to marinate the veal properly. Veal is characterized by its red color and the tenderness of the meat when done correctly.
Preparing veal strip steak in the oven
- One kilo of veal strip steak
- Ground black pepper
- Dry oregano
- Two cloves of garlic
- Chopped parsley (can be fresh or canned)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- White vinegar
- Spices to taste (parsley, cumin, etc.)
- The first thing to do, before getting down to work, is to clean the veal loin. You can ask the butcher to remove the fat from it, or you can do it with the help of a filleting knife. The idea is to remove as much fat as possible.
- In a bowl, large enough to contain the strip steak, you should prepare the dressing. To do this, chop the garlic into slices (it is best to grind them as finely as possible); add the pepper, vinegar, dried oregano, chopped parsley and salt to taste. Add a dash of oil and stir well. As an extra ingredient, and if you want to give a different flavor to the beef strip steak, you can add a dash of soy sauce instead of oil.
- Put the strip steak in the bowl and, with the help of your hands, stir until the meat is well impregnated by the dressing.
- You can leave the strip steak in the bowl, perfectly covered with cling film or put it in a special cooking bag, removing as much air as possible.
- Let it rest in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- It is best to prepare this dressing the night before, because the more time the strip steak spends marinating, the better it will taste.
- The first thing you have to do is to temper the meat, since it is not advisable to prepare it straight out of the refrigerator. For this you will have to take out the top loin of veal at least one or two hours before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Spread some of the dressing into a tray or baking dish with a drizzle of oil.
- Place the strip steak in the tray and cover with the rest of the dressing. Cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven.
- It is advisable to prepare extra dressing and spread more onto the meat from time to time. This will prevent the meat from drying out and give it a very juicy flavor.
- 45 minutes later, check the condition of the strip steak. You can do this with a fork or toothpick, poking the meat to check the doneness.
- If you like the strip steak as it is, it is time to remove it, if not, leave it for longer, but be careful not to burn it!
- When the meat is ready, again, you should check it with a toothpick, remove from the oven and cut into strips.
- For a better flavor, it is best to leave the strip steak in the oven for at least one hour or 90 minutes, checking it regularly during this time.
- Serve on a plate and pour over some of the juices that it produced while cooking.
- You can serve it with roasted vegetables, salad, rice, mashed potatoes, etc.
Secrets of the veal strip steak marinade
The marinade for veal strip steak, as for any other cut, depends on the taste and preferences of the diners. Instead of vinegar, for example, you can add lime or lemon juice, which also provides a unique flavor to the recipe. The longer the meat remains in the refrigerator, the more the mixture of ingredients will permeate it. Have you ever wondered why meat remains bland even when you add salt and pepper? Maybe you are not letting it rest with the right seasoning.
Soy and lime are great allies, as is cumin, if you're looking for an easy, uncomplicated and equally good rub. If you decide to use a special oven bag instead of a bowl, make sure that there is little air left inside the bag before closing it; this will make the ingredients adhere easily to the meat.
It is also advisable, from time to time, to stir the dressing. If you use a bag, it's easy: just shake it a couple of times. If you use a bowl, shake lightly or use your hands. Finally, remember to bring the meat to room temperature at least two hours before cooking. If you have time to spare, try to prepare the meat at a low temperature in the oven, with heat up and down. Slow cooking guarantees more juiciness and flavor. Be careful, this could take more than an hour and a half.