The top loin of veal, or the veal strip steak, is a cut extracted from the upper part of the loin or back of the animal. This is a fairly easy cut to cook, but it really shines with a punchy marinade, which makes it even softer and more tender than before. Wondering how to properly marinade a veal strip steak? Find out how.
How to Marinate Veal Strip Steak
Veal is characterized by its red color and incredible tenderness, especially when prepared properly. The secret to a good cut of veal, whatever it is, first lies in the quality of the steak. Make sure you purchase top-notch veal that's fresh and raised on the right kind of diet.
The other most important part lies in the marinade and cooking time. Marinading the meat helps soften up the fibers, adds incredible flavor, and ultimately makes the meat more delicious and tender. To marinate a veal strip steak, you simply mix up your favorite marinade and let the meat sit in the mixture for at least one hour, or ideally overnight in the fridge, covered. It's as simple as that.
Recipe for Baked Veal Strip Steak
This is a great recipe to get you stared on marinating beef steaks or really any other cut of beef, pork, or chicken. You can switch up the spices and herbs and add whatever other vinegars and seasonings you prefer.
- 2.25 lb. veal strip steak
- Ground black pepper
- Dry oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Chopped parsley, fresh or dried
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- White wine vinegar
- Spices to taste
Veal Strip Steak Marinade Preparation
- Trim the veal loin using a sharp filleting knife, removing as much fat as necessary. You can also ask your butcher to trim the filet for you.
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic, pepper, vinegar, oregano, parsley, and salt to taste. Add a drizzle of oil and mix well. You can also add soy sauce here instead of oil.
- Place the strip steak in the bowl and massage the marinade into the meat. You can also place it in a large, resealable bag with the marinade.
- Let sit covered in the refrigerator for a least one hour, or ideally overnight.
Veal Steak Preparation
- Take out the top loin of veal at least one or two hours before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Spread some of the marinade into a tray or baking dish with a drizzle of oil.
- Place the strip steak in the tray and cover with the rest of the marinade. Cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven.
- As the meat cooks, baste with the extra marinade to prevent the meat from drying out and give it a very juicy flavor.
- 45 minutes later, check the strip steak. You can do this with a fork or toothpick, poking the meat to check the doneness.
- For a better flavor, it is best to leave the strip steak in the oven for at least 1 hour or 90 minutes, checking it regularly during this time.
- Once cooked to your liking, remove the veal from the oven, let rest, and cut it into strips.
- Serve on a plate and pour some of the juices over the meat that it produced while cooking.
- Serve it with roasted vegetables, salad, rice, or mashed potatoes. ¡Buen provecho!
Tips for a Great Beef Marinade
The marinade for veal strip steak, or for any other cut, totally depends on your tastes and preferences. Instead of vinegar, for example, you can add lime or lemon juice, which also provides a unique flavor to the recipe. Soy is another great flavor addition, as well as spices like cumin and coriander, or your favorite meat rub.
Mariande Flavor Combinations
- Lime + jalapeño + red onion
- Soy + miso paste + rice wine vinegar + garlic
- Lemon + oregano + garlic
- Onion + cilantro + oregano + parsley + white wine vinegar
- Rosemary + garlic + red wine vinegar
- Lime + fish sauce + garlic + chili
- Rice vinegar + sesame oil + garlic
The longer the meat remains in the refrigerator, the more the flavor the meat will take on. As the meat marinades, it never hurts to mix it around or stir up the marinade from time to time to help it combine evenly. If you use a bag, it's easy: just shake it a couple of times, being careful not to open the bag or break it. If you use a bowl, stir lightly or use your hands to move it all around.