Flank steak is one of the most prized cuts of beef for its distinctive flavor, however, it is not very tender. It is a long, flat cut and can be divided into inner and outer flank steak.
Secrets of veal flank steak
Veal flank steak is taken from the part of the diaphragm muscle that is attached to the ribs (ribs 6 and 12). It lacks bone and is covered by a white membrane that is very important to remove before cooking. Generally, butcher shops sell flank steak with the membrane removed; if not, you can do it yourself at home. You only need to insert a knife with a sharp enough edge underneath the membrane, to loosen it a little, and pull the rest with your hand. It will come out easily!
Beef brisket is used in the kitchen to make countless dishes. This can be used for steak, but it can also be prepared in fajitas, tacos, sautéed with vegetables as a wok and even eaten alone on the grill. It's a very versatile cut!
The only problem with flank steak is that it is not very tender. Although its flavor is unmatched, the meat is usually tough. Therefore, before cooking, it is advisable to pound the meat with a kitchen mallet. To add flavor and minimize toughness, the meat should also be left to marinate for a specific time in the refrigerator. Finally, to make flank steak easy to eat, it is important to cut the meat following the grain.
Grilled flank steak
Flank steak can be prepared in different ways. Today you are going to learn how to grill and bake it. In both techniques, you will be able to maximize the flavor of this cut of beef.
- Flank steak fillets.
- One teaspoon of garlic powder or finely chopped.
- One and a half tablespoon of red pepper.
- One and a half tablespoon of smoked paprika.
- Freshly ground black pepper.
- Salt flakes.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- The meat should be marinated a few hours before cooking. You can do it when you take it out of the refrigerator so that it reaches room temperature or you can marinate it the night before or very early in the morning.
- To marinate the meat you should mix all the spices in a bowl wide enough to hold the steaks. Use your hands to stir so that the steaks are well impregnated with the spice mixture.
- Preheat the grill to 135ºC and grease the grill with cooking spray.
- Place the flank steaks on the grill and cook for 18-20 minutes.
- Turn the steaks, always using tongs, and cook for another ten minutes.
- Lower the temperature and, if you are using wood, let it smoke for a few minutes before removing the steaks.
- Remove and place on a platter.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and lemon juice.
Baked flank steak
- Veal flank steak.
- Coarse salt.
- Freshly ground black pepper.
- A teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- It is important to prepare the steak before cooking. To do this, it is advisable to give it a dry massage with your hands and use a kitchen mallet. You should also leave it at room temperature so that the inside of the meat is not cold.
- Marinate the steak with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the steak is at room temperature, preheat the oven to 225-230ºC.
- While the oven is heating up, sear the steak in a frying pan. Each side should sear for about one minute.
- Line a special baking tray with aluminum foil. On top of the pan, place the oven rack.
- Place the meat on the rack.
- Let it cook for five minutes and turn it over with the help of kitchen tongs. Each side should be left for five minutes. You can leave it a little longer if you like it well done and browned on the outside.
- When the meat is ready, remove and set aside ten minutes before slicing and serving.
Garnishes for flank steak
Flank steak is a very noble and versatile cut of beef, so you can serve it with anything. If you are using the oven, then there is nothing like placing, in a separate tray, some baking potatoes. If, on the contrary, you are using a grill, you can roast a potato, wrapped in aluminum foil and also roast an onion that is then seasoned with lemon.
If you are more traditional, then some fried potatoes or mashed potatoes are a perfect accompaniment. But flank steak goes so well with anything that you can even combine it with steamed vegetables, a good rice dish and a homemade guacamole.