Sink your teeth into a juicy shredded Coppa Ibérico sandwich, accompanied by a refreshing and creamy apple cabbage slaw. The slaw ads a nice chilled crunch and can be made a day ahead - the flavors will only intensify.
- 1 31-42 oz. Campo Grande Ibérico Coppa
- 4 ¼ cups orange juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoon red meat rub
- 1 white onion
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 4 apples, cored and grated
- 5 carrots, grated
- 2 lb. red or green cabbage, finely shredded
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup whole-grain mustard
- Bread for 8-10 sandwiches
- Heat grill to 250ºF. Cook coppa for 3 hours on grill (covered), basting it with orange juice every hour and flipping to help cook evenly.
- After 3 hours, place the coppa in a deep metal baking pan with remaining orange juice, white onion, garlic, and red rub. Cover the pan with foil and cook for another 3 hours (covered), until the meat falls apart and you can easily shred it with your hands.
- To make the slaw, mix sour cream, mustard, and mayonnaise in a large bowl. Add the apple, carrot, and cabbage and stir to combine.
- Sauté the coppa carnitas with the barbecue sauce in a large pan until warm and mixed.
- Spread mayonnaise and mustard on the inside of the toasted bread, add carnitas and slaw, and top with the second piece of bread. ¡Buen provecho!