Jamón Ibérico Mushroom Soup
February 13, 2023 • Cooking
In Spain, Jamón Ibérico and mushrooms are a classic combination. And this creamy mushroom soup is a particularly comforting, wintertime vehicle for slices of the beloved cured ham. It also just happens to be quick and super delicious, adding all sorts of texture and earthiness that works perfectly as an appetizer or even a full meal. The recipe calls for vegetable stock, but feel free to use any stock you have on hand.
Time: 40 min
- 80g (3 oz.) Campo Grande Jamón Ibérico
- 4 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 400g (14 oz.) baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 400g (14 oz.) white mushrooms, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 leek
- Black pepper
- Toasted bread for serving
- Heat 3 Tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot and cook mushrooms until soft. Remove 4 Tablespoons from the pot and set aside.
- Add garlic and leek and cook until the vegetables have reduced about half.
- Add vegetable stock and let cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, toast the bread slices, ideally until they are nice and crunchy.
- Using a blender or an immersion blender, blend the soup until you reach a smooth consistency. You can add more broth if it seems too thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve each bowl of soup with a drizzle of olive oil and a dollop of the reserved mushrooms, and top with slices of Jamón Ibérico. Accompany with toasted bread for dipping. ¡Buen provecho!