Oven-roasted pork loin is one of the most delicious recipes that exist and is usually prepared on special occasions such as Christmas, New Year's Eve and birthdays. However, it is a very affordable recipe and very easy to prepare, so find out how to surprise your guests on any occasion!
What is pork loin?
This is a cut of pork that is extracted from the upper part of the animal and is very close to the spine of the animal. The Iberian pork loin, for example, has a unique quality, but it has the peculiarity of being a very dry meat. For this reason it is very important to follow the recipe to the letter, so that the meat is in the oven for the specified time and at the right temperature; otherwise, the loin will dry out too much and the results will not be the same.
The Iberian pork and all the cuts that are extracted from it, are characterized by having infiltrated veined fat, which provides softness to the meat, juiciness and a very tender texture. But with the loin, it is more difficult, because in general it does not have much fat. Watch the cooking times well!
If there is something that baked tenderloin has and what makes it so special, is that you can prepare it and at the same time serve your guests. That is why it is a recipe that is usually cooked on special occasions.
Oven-roasted pork loin recipe
- One kilo of whole pork loin.
- Three cloves of garlic.
- Oregano, rosemary and dry thyme.
- White wine for cooking.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Coarse salt.
- Freshly ground black pepper.
- The first thing to do is to make the marinade for the Iberian pork loin. Keep in mind that if you do not want the meat to dry out too much, you should leave it to marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the marinade by placing the loin in a wide dish. Add half a glass of white cooking wine, as well as a splash of extra virgin olive oil; a cooking trick is to inject, with the help of a syringe, oil and wine into the meat. This will make the meat juicy on the inside as well.
- Peel the garlic and chop it very finely. You can also crush it with the blade of a knife or make a paste with it in a mortar.
- In a bowl, mix the herbs, a dash of oil and the garlic.
- Use a kitchen brush to spread the seasoning over the entire surface of the tenderloin. The whole loin should be covered with this mixture.
- Cover the dish with cling film and refrigerate.
- In the morning, turn the tenderloin over so that it is well impregnated with the marinade.
- A couple of hours before cooking, remove the loin from the refrigerator and leave it at room temperature so that the meat is not cold inside.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 180-190ºC.
- Place the loin in a baking dish. Take care to place it with the fatty part of the cut side up.
- You can use a blender to blend the seasoning mixture and then pour it over the tenderloin.
- Bake, heat up and down, for half an hour.
- After 30 minutes, turn the tenderloin over and return to cooking. It is important to handle the tenderloin with tongs or special kitchen tongs - never prick the tenderloin to turn it over! If you handle it with a fork, the cooking juices may escape and remember that this is a dry meat.
- When you have turned the tenderloin over, lower the temperature by ten degrees Celsius and let it cook for half an hour more.
- 15 minutes before the end of cooking, raise the temperature to 200ºC, so that the outside is toasted and with a crust.
- Keep in mind that a kilo of pork loin will take about an hour to cook, but the time may vary depending on the weight of this cut. For a kilo and a half, you will need 75 minutes, approximately.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, remove the loin from the oven and let it cool for ten minutes before making the cuts. To protect it, it is advisable to cover it with aluminum foil and let it rest; this helps not only to keep it warm, but also allows all the cooking juices to settle.
- Cut into slices and serve to the guests.
Garnishes for oven-roasted pork loin
Oven-roasted pork loin can be accompanied with any garnish you can think of, it is a very versatile meat with a unique flavor! While you are preparing it in the oven, you can also bake some baking potatoes, which serve as a perfect side dish. The potatoes don't take long, so you can put them in a separate dish when you turn the tenderloin over.
Mashed potatoes are also an ideal accompaniment for this dish and even a good rice or salad can work well. Roasted or steamed vegetables are a good choice. If you have leftover tenderloin, keep it and serve it in a sandwich the next day - it's a good idea!