The Iberian secreto is one of the most coveted parts of the pig by some of the most select palates, because it has a tender texture and an unequaled flavor. The Iberian secreto is a lean cut of meat and together with the feather and the prey, it is one of the three most expensive pieces of the animal.
Characteristics of the Iberian secreto ibérico
The Iberian secreto is, together with the feather and the prey, one of the most expensive and coveted parts of the Iberian pig. However, it is the best known of the three, as it is much more common to find it in restaurants than the other two. It is a very well known cut characterized by its lean meat.
The Iberian pig is an animal that, due to its genetics and diet, has more fat infiltrated throughout its body. This gives the meat obtained from the animal, a characteristic white, marbled color. And of course, its flavor is unbeatable. In addition, thanks to this fat, the meat has high oleic acid values, which are similar to those of olive oil.
The secreto is obtained from the armpit area of the animal, so only two pieces of secreto can be obtained from each specimen. In conclusion: the Iberian pork secreto has a high content of oleic acid, low levels of fat and a large amount of proteins and vitamins of the B group. This means that this type of meat has great health benefits.
What part is the pork loin?
The Iberian pork loin is the upper part of the animal, which is located near the backbone. The quality and flavor of the meat depend on the breeding and feeding of the specimen. The head of the loin is also extracted from the Iberian pig. This part comes from the upper part of the animal, but the one located closest to the neck.
It is easy to confuse the loin with the head of the loin, but you should know that the meat from the loin is much leaner, has little fat and is of higher quality. The meat from the loin is also of high quality, but Iberian secreto is the union formed between the prey and the loin. Another way of distinguishing them is by the appearance of the meat when cut, as well as by its texture.
The loin meat has little fat and a soft and tender appearance; the piece that is extracted from the head of the loin is slightly harder and with some fat perceptible to the naked eye. Finally, the pork loin, due to its location, is a piece that can weigh up to two kilos; the head of the loin barely reaches one kilo in weight.
Iberian secreto recipe
- Iberian pork secreto (500 grams).
- Freshly ground black pepper.
- Salt in flakes.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Marinate the meat with a pinch of pepper. As it is Iberian pork, the meat does not need much preparation.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan over a high heat with a drizzle of oil. The griddle should be very hot when you put the meat on it.
- When the griddle is hot, reduce the temperature and place the Iberian pork pieces onto it.
- There is no specific time to know when one side of the secreto is done, you should watch the meat as it cooks and turn it over. This is because you want the meat to be very juicy, but sufficiently done.
- Remove the meat and sprinkle it with a little salt flakes.
- The most traditional way to accompany the secreto ibérico is with fried potatoes, but you can also serve it with a roasted red bell pepper. It will be delicious.
Pork loin recipe
- One kilo of pork loin.
- Three cloves of garlic.
- White wine.
- Rosemary, thyme and oregano.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- For the pork loin to acquire a good flavor, it is best to marinate it overnight. To do this, place the loin in a deep bowl and add half a glass of white wine and a drizzle of oil. You can inject, with the help of a syringe, a little wine and oil inside the meat.
- In a separate bowl, mix the spices and three cloves of garlic previously sliced and chopped and add a little more oil. With the help of a brush, paint the outside of the loin.
- Place in cling film and refrigerate overnight.
- It is advisable to turn the meat over in the morning, so that the dressing permeates the meat.
- Take the meat out of the refrigerator one hour before preparing it so that it will be tempered.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees.
- Once it is hot, place the pork on a baking sheet, fat side up.
- Spread the marinade juice over the meat.
- Bake the loin in the oven for thirty minutes, with heat up and down.
- After half an hour, turn the meat over and let it cook for another half hour.
- If you want it crispy and browned, raise the temperature fifteen minutes before removing, to 200 degrees.