What is the lomo alto of veal and why is it considered one of the whole foods par excellence? Among the types of meat that can be consumed if one follows a balanced and healthy diet, whether for health reasons, or to reduce weight and gain muscle mass, the lomo alto of veal is one of the recommended options.
Is veal loin a whole food?
Different cuts can be obtained from veal, and lomo alto is one of them. This part of the animal contains 16.62 grams of protein; which is not only essential for health, but is also suitable for people who want to increase their muscle mass. On the other hand, the lomo alto lacks carbohydrates and for every hundred grams of this piece, you will only find six grams of fat; in addition, it does not contain sugar and its caloric intake is 120 kcal.
Beef lomo alto is rich in vitamins B3, B4, B9, K, among many others, and has good levels of potassium, zinc, calcium and fiber. The nutritional contribution of lomo alto varies depending on the amount of meat consumed, as well as the way in which it is prepared.
Benefits of the lomo alto
For a balanced diet, the lomo alto of veal has great benefits. Zinc, for example, facilitates the assimilation and storage of insulin, in addition, it is good for the immune system and the metabolism of proteins.
The vitamin B5 contained in lomo alto helps to combat stress as well as migraines and reduces excess cholesterol in the blood; hence lomo alto can be consumed by people with cholesterol problems, as part of a healthy diet. The vitamin B6 present in this type of meat is recommended for people with diabetes, asthma and depression; this vitamin in particular, helps to prevent heart disease.
Be careful, because the beneficial properties of lomo alto can be considerably reduced if it is accompanied by fried foods or foods that are rich in carbohydrates.
How to prepare beef lomo alto ?
Grilled lomo alto recipe
- Veal lomo alto in fillets. The number of fillets will depend on the number of diners. One kilo can be enough for two or three people.
- Six cloves of garlic.
- Two sprigs of rosemary.
- 60 grams of unsalted butter.
- Salt to taste.
- Freshly ground black pepper.
- Start by slicing the garlic and chopping it finely, together with the rosemary sprigs and melt the butter. If you do not wish to use butter, you can substitute it with extra virgin olive oil.
- Place these ingredients in a bowl and add the lomo alto steaks. Use your hand to stir the meat well in the dressing so that it is impregnated.
- Leave to rest in the refrigerator, covering the bowl with cling film.
- A couple of hours before cooking, remove the meat from the refrigerator and allow it to temper. It is important to cook the meat when it is at room temperature.
- Heat the griddle or a frying pan, without greasing it. The griddle should be heated for at least ten minutes.
- Place the steaks in the griddle only when it is very hot.
- Add a drizzle of the seasoning over the steak, as well as salt and pepper to taste.
- The steaks should cook for three minutes on both sides until golden brown.
Baked lomo alto steak
- 500 grams of whole veal loin.
- ½ liter of red wine.
- ½ liter of beef broth.
- ½ liter of mushrooms.
- One onion.
- Two cloves of garlic.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Freshly ground black pepper.
- Corn flour diluted in water.
- Leave the meat at room temperature for two hours before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Sprinkle the black pepper over the meat, on both sides.
- Place the lomo alto on the baking sheet and drizzle with four tablespoons of olive oil, half of the red wine and half of the beef stock.
- Place the lomo alto in the oven.
- After twenty minutes, add the rest of the broth and wine.
- Leave the meat in the oven for 20 minutes more.
- Peel and slice the garlic.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil and brown the garlic.
- Cut the onion into julienne strips and add it to the garlic.
- When the onion is soft and transparent, add the previously washed and sliced garlic. You can also add them in halves or quarters.
- Cook on a low heat.
- Remove the meat from the oven and keep the sauce resulting from the cooking.
- Mix the sauce in a saucepan with the flour diluted in water to form a thick broth.
- Cut the lomo alto into steaks and add the gravy on top, accompanied by a garnish.