When you buy veal, which part of it do you choose? If you order loin, you should know that high loin is not the same as lomo bajo, since each part you choose has a different cooking result. Although both parts of the veal are delicious, one, for example, releases water when frying. You can ask for veal in the butcher's shop according to the type of meal you want to prepare: frying, roasting, grilled, baked, barbecued, etc.
What is the lomo bajo?
The lomo bajo, as its name indicates (in Spanish), is the lower, rear part of the veal loin. It is characterized for being more tender, juicy and lean than other cuts. The fillets, even if you only grill them, will be delicious. So what is this lomo bajo? Surely you have eaten it some time, it is the entrecote; the entrecote is obtained from the middle part between the ribs and includes the fatty part of the animal. Entrecote is obtained from the boneless loin and is ideal for grilling or broiling.
Another cut from the lomo bajo that many people like is the sirloin. This is one of the most appreciated cuts of beef, as the meat is very juicy and tender at the same time. It is also very lean. The sirloin can also be grilled or broiled and accompanied with an infinite number of sauces. Even with a good caramelized onion it is ideal.
Entrecote of beef sirloin steak recipe
The entrecote of beef lomo bajo will delight diners and also the most demanding palates. The preparation is simple, and a good way to accompany it is with french fries and peppers. As for the peppers, they can be roasted red peppers, but also Padrón peppers, if they are in season. The preparation is very easy and it will not take you an hour to prepare it.
Ingredients (for two people)
- 400 grams of lomo bajo of veal.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Maldon salt (to taste).
- Red peppers or Padrón peppers.
- Aluminum foil.
- Ingredients for the marinade.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Soy sauce.
- Worcestershire sauce (not essential).
- Vinegar. You can use lime or lemon if you don't like vinegar.
- Bay leaves.
- Ground black pepper and salt.
- Garlic powder.
- The first thing is to marinate the meat. Depending on your taste, this can be done or not. Some people prefer to cook the meat directly. To marinate the meat, place it in a deep bowl and add all the ingredients for the marinade. Use your hands to stir the meat so that it is well bathed in the mixture.
- Place cling film over the bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- While the meat is marinating, peel and chop the potatoes into strips and place plenty of oil in a frying pan to fry them. You can also fry the Padrón peppers at the same time.
- To prepare the meat, heat the griddle or grill. If using a griddle, lightly coat it with olive oil. The griddle should be heated for at least ten to fifteen minutes.
- Place the meat on the grill or griddle and pour the marinade juices over it.
- If you use a grill, cook the meat over a high heat for five minutes on each side. Use tongs to turn the meat. If using a griddle, you should also cook the meat for five minutes on each side.
- Remove the meat from the grill and place on pieces of aluminum foil, previously cut. Wrap the entrecote in the foil while the potatoes finish cooking.
- When the potatoes are ready, remove them from the oil and drain them on absorbent paper.
- Add salt to the potatoes and peppers.
- The meat should be left to rest for at least ten minutes. After this time, serve on a platter and add Maldon salt.
The secret of a good sirloin of veal
How do you get a juicy veal lomo bajo ? It all depends on the cooking time and temperature you use, but also on the thickness of the medallions. If you like your meat rare or medium rare, then it is best to ask for a rather thick cut; otherwise, a traditional cut, which is also much faster, may be your best option.
Marinating is not essential, since some people prefer to eat the lomo bajo with its natural flavor. However, a good marinade allows the meat to be impregnated with other flavors and, in addition, if you add this mixture while preparing the recipe, you will be adding more juiciness.
As for the accompaniment, not all people like Padrón peppers, as they have a certain spiciness. You can substitute them with roasted red peppers, which you can place on the grill while the entrecote is being prepared.