Roast sea bass recipe
Grilled fish, in general, is a very healthy, light and easy-to-prepare dish. The flavor will delight even the most demanding palates. Sea bass is such a versatile type of fish that it can also be prepared roasted, and if accompanied by baked or boiled potatoes, it will be even more delicious.
How to prepare roasted sea bass?
Roasted sea bass can be prepared in the oven or using a special grill. Whichever method you use, choose fresh, quality ingredients. Day-old sea bass is best. For this recipe it is not necessary to cut the sea bass, as they are served whole, but you should ask the fishmonger to skin the fish and remove the entrails.
Ingredients for four people
- Four sea bass.
- Four good-sized potatoes.
- Two onions.
- Six cloves of garlic.
- Four tablespoons of olive oil.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Rosemary and thyme sprigs.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- While the oven is heating, make three cuts on the back of the sea bass, but not so deep as to reach the backbone.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into slices of the same thickness. The thicker the slices, the longer the cooking time.
- Peel and cut the onion into julienne strips.
- Using kitchen paper or a special brush, grease a baking tray with two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Place the onion and half of the potatoes on the tray.
- Add three cloves of garlic and the herbs. If you don't have fresh herbs, which should be finely chopped, you can use the dried ones from a jar.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- On top of this layer, add the rest of the potatoes and onion and add the other two tablespoons of oil.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes at 180 ºC.
- After 30 minutes, carefully remove the tray from the oven and remove the foil.
- Place the sea bass on top of the potatoes.
- Raise the oven temperature to 190-200°C and bake for a further 20 minutes. Depending on the power of the oven, you may need more or less cooking time, so keep an eye on the fish.
- When the sea bass are done, remove them from the oven and drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve with potatoes and onion.
Tips for good roasted, and grilled sea bass
To ensure that roasted sea bass is a hit with your guests and tastes exquisite, you can follow a series of tips. Start by buying fresh fish; although you can find cheaper frozen sea bass, the flavor will not be the same. If you choose this option, leave the sea bass to defrost in the fridge the night before preparing it. Fever defrost the fish outside of the fridge as the heat can cause it to ferment.
It is also advisable to marinate the sea bass before cooking them. To do this you should brush them with half a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and season them inside and out. If you like a stronger flavor, you can also make a dressing mixture with lime or lemon, oil, coarse salt, pepper and chopped parsley (it can be fresh or dried). It is advisable to leave the sea bass in the refrigerator after seasoning, so that the ingredients can soak into the fish. The seasoning time can be from 15 minutes to an hour.
If you use a barbecue or grill to cook the sea bass, instead of the oven, the flavor will be different. The potatoes should always be baked in the oven following the recipe described above, but they should be left to cook for 40 to 50 minutes. You should prick the potatoes with a toothpick to know when they are ready.
If you prepare the sea bass on the grill, it is important to paint them well and add a little oil to the grill grate to prevent the fish from sticking. Preheat the grill to maximum and grill the sea bass for six minutes on each side, using barbecue tongs rather than a fork to turn the fish. Leave to grill until the skin is golden brown and the flesh is white. You will know the sea bass is perfect if the flesh can be easily pulled apart.
You can also use a long skewer stick and place it inside the sea bass to make it easier to turn and also to make it easier for your guests to eat. You can squeeze lemon or lime over the top once you have removed the sea bass from the grill to give the skin a unique flavor.
Finally, if you prepare the sea bass on the grill, remember to leave enough distance between the grill and the base, otherwise the food may burn quickly.