Lomo is one of the star dishes in Spanish gastronomy. However, meat is reserved for special occasions and parties such as Christmas or birthdays. The loin is such a noble type of meat that it can be stuffed and prepared with endless ingredients. We will tell you how to prepare it in the oven with vegetables.
Recipe of baked tenderloin with vegetables
Tenderloin is a very lean meat, so its main problem is that it tends to dry out if not prepared correctly. But when the cooking times are respected, and the amount of liquid during cooking is taken care of, it is possible to obtain a delicacy to the liking of all diners.
This cut of pork, which is better if it is Iberian, has very little fat; this makes it very healthy.
- A whole pork loin.
- A glass of brandy or wine.
- Half a kilo of potatoes.
- Half a kilo of carrots.
- Two onions.
- A sprig of fresh rosemary.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper.
As with all cuts of meat, remember that it is essential to take it out of the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature before starting work. This will prevent the meat from being cooked on the outside but cold on the inside.
- Once the meat is at the right temperature, it is time to sear in the pan or grill over very high heat. This step is crucial because it helps to keep the juices inside the meat; it also enhances the meat's flavor and tenderness.
- To seal the tenderloin, it is necessary to season it with salt and pepper before putting it on fire. Mix these two seasonings with some salt and pepper in a small bowl. Then, baste the tenderloin on all sides, but be careful not to overdo it with salt or pepper.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and introduce the tenderloin only when it is hot. The oil must touch all sides of the tenderloin to seal it well. You will know it is ready because the skin is golden brown; to seal it, carefully turn the tenderloin.
- It is essential never to prick the tenderloin with a fork to handle it, as this can cause the juices inside to escape. So use kitchen tongs to take it.
- Preheat the oven to 200º C, with heat up and down.
- Place the loin in a baking dish and sprinkle with the brandy or wine.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and peeled onions around the meat. Cut the vegetables into chunks before putting them in the oven is also necessary. As a tip, try to cut the potatoes into slices of more or less the same size so that the cooking is uniform.
- Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and add olive oil on top.
- Add the fresh rosemary. If you don't have rosemary, you can use any other herb, but it must be fresh.
- Put the tray in the oven and cook for 40 minutes.
- After those 40 minutes, you can make a small cut to see if you like the meat or prefer to continue cooking it. Remember that the time can vary considerably depending on the piece size you have chosen.
- After these 40 minutes, cover the vegetables and meat with aluminum foil to prevent them from burning.
- If you decide to leave the meat for longer, turn it over carefully and with the help of kitchen tongs. This is also an excellent time to check for enough liquid. If the brandy or wine has evaporated and there is not much juice left in the pan, add a small glass of water or a splash of meat or vegetable stock.
- When the tenderloin is ready, remove it from the oven and place it on a wooden board for 10 minutes before cutting. It is important to wait before cutting the tenderloin because all the juices and flavors from the cooking finish settling.
- Cut the loin into steaks of more or less the same thickness and serve to the guests.
What to accompany the tenderloin with baked vegetables?
As the tenderloin is a very versatile piece of meat, you can accompany it with the vegetables of your preference; potatoes and carrots are the most traditional ones, but you can substitute some of them for zucchini and even add this vegetable to the mixture.
As for the accompaniment, the tenderloin is a very hearty dish and does not need great accompaniments. However, a little rice or a very light salad can also serve as a garnish for this dish. Remember to serve some bread to the guests, as the wine, brandy sauce, and cooking juices are ideal for soaking the bread.
If you have some leftover loin (which we doubt), keep it in the fridge and prepare some delicious sandwiches the next day. The best part? It can be eaten cold, accompanied by mayonnaise, and it will taste delicious inside a loaf of bread.