Casserole noodles with meat and seafood, also known as "sea and mountain noodles," is a typical recipe of the Spanish Levant and the province of Girona.
It is a delicious and healthy combination, made with the best products of these areas, and can be served as a unique dish.
Benefits of incorporating chicken and seafood into your diet
Chicken meat, being low in saturated fats (as long as it is not eaten with its skin) and easy to digest, is an indispensable food in any diet. In addition, it contains proteins of high biological value, that is, those that provide all the essential amino acids that our organism needs. It is also an important source of B vitamins and phosphorus. On the other hand, the meat of free-range birds, or those fed with vegetable feed, also provides omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids, making it a heart-healthy food.
As for seafood, it stands out for its high content of omega 3, vitamin A and B complex vitamins.
Consuming it twice a week is beneficial for the health of our eyes and brain. It stimulates brain growth in babies and children and improves cognitive function in the elderly. Seafood also fights depression, reduces the risk of developing neurodegenerative diseases, cares for the heart, relieves joint pain caused by inflammatory conditions, and protects us from the sun's ultraviolet rays.
How to prepare noodle casserole with chicken and seafood
Ingredients for 2 servings:
- 200 g fat noodles
- 1 chicken thigh
- 1 squid
- 100 g mussel meat
- 200 g clams
- 200gr peeled shrimps
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 spoonfuls of crushed tomato
- 50 ml of white wine
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Aromatic herbs to taste
- Salt and pepper
Ingredients for the fish stock:
- 1 kilo of fish heads, tails, and bones
- 1 large onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 leek stalk
- 1 stalk celery
Preparation of the broth:
- Wash the pieces of fish you will use to remove impurities and scales.
- Chop all the vegetables into small pieces.
- Put all the ingredients in a large pot with 4 liters of water and boil for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the impurities and scum accumulating on the pot's surface during cooking.
- After the time has elapsed, remove the pot from the heat and strain the broth through a fine sieve.
Preparation of the casserole noodles:
- Cut the squid into rings. Bone the chicken thigh and cut it into pieces.
- Peel the garlic clove and the onion and cut them into pieces together with the peppers.
- Place the chicken in a casserole with oil. Then add the squid rings, the garlic, and the rest of the vegetables.
- Let it fry for a few minutes, and add the shrimp and mussels.
- After 3 minutes, remove the shrimp and mussels and pour the wine.
- After a couple of minutes, when the alcohol has evaporated, add the tomato and cook everything together until the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, put the clams in a saucepan with water (which should not be discarded) so that they open.
- Remove the squid from the pan, add the strained water from the clams, and add the chosen herbs.
- Let the sauce reduce and blend it in the blender.
- In the same casserole, add the noodles and stir so that they soak up the juices from the previous cooking.
- Replace the squid and add the sauce.
- Cover with hot fish stock. Cook for ten minutes and add the seafood and chicken. Add broth as needed.
- Let it cook for 5 more minutes or until the noodles are cooked.
- Remove from the heat and cover so that the broth is consumed more quickly, but if you prefer brothy noodles, leave the pan uncovered or add more broth during the last few minutes of cooking.
Tips for preparing casserole noodles with chicken and seafood
Contrary to what it may seem, this recipe is not complicated due to its many ingredients and will not take too much time. Therefore, you can make it whenever you feel like it, either as part of your weekly menu or as to surprise on big occasions.
The important thing is to choose fresh and quality products. And prepare the fish stock in a homemade way. If you want to save time, you can prepare it in advance and freeze it when needed. But remember to defrost it the same day you are going to prepare the noodles in the casserole because it is easily corrupted at room temperature.