If you like chorizos and cider taste, there is always good news. What if you could combine both Iberian products in a delicious, easy to make and very healthy dish? Today, we’ll learn the recipe for chorizo in cider, one of the jewels of Spanish cuisine you miss. We assure you that you will enjoy it fully and surprise your guests with this delicious and distinctive dish.
Chorizo in cider is a typical dish from Asturias, a region in northern Spain known for its cider, an alcoholic beverage made from the fermentation of apple juice and used to preserve meat. This liquor adds a special touch to the chorizos, slowly cooked in a casserole with this drink and spices such as bay leaf, garlic, and paprika. The result is a delicious, juicy, and aromatic dish served as a starter or a main course.
The recipe for chorizos a la cider is simple and requires only a few ingredients, which are detailed below:
- 1 kg of fresh sausages
- 1 liter of natural cider
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of sweet paprika powder
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
The chorizo used for this recipe is Asturian, characterized by its smoked cooking and rich and intense flavor. In turn, the cider used for this preparation must be natural and without gas to provide that sweet and sour flavor that contrasts with the spicy chorizo.
The preparation of this recipe consists of the following steps:
- The first step is to prick the chorizos with a fork so that they release their liquid and do not break during cooking. Then, we proceed to cut them into pieces of about 5cm and keep them.
- Next, peel the garlic and cut them into thin slices. Put them in a large pan with olive oil and sauté over medium heat until golden brown. Add paprika, bay leaf, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Then, add the chorizos and the cider to the casserole. We must cover them well with the liquid and let them boil over heat for about 10 minutes. Then, lower the heat to the minimum and let it cook for another 40 minutes with the casserole covered so that the chorizos are well impregnated with the flavor of the cider and are tender until the sauce has reduced and thickened. You can brown the chorizos lightly before adding the cider to make them tastier and crispier.
- The last step is to serve the chorizos a la cider very hot, accompanied by bread to dip in the sauce. You can also help them with a garnish such as french fries, green salad or applesauce. Feta or blue cheese is also a perfect option, as it contrasts with the chorizo's flavor and gives the dish a creamy touch. You will see what a pleasure!
Apple cider chorizos are a great dish to enjoy anytime, especially in winter when you crave something warm and comforting. Plus, they are easy to make and require little time or effort. You only need a good sausage, cider, and a desire to eat.
This dish can be prepared in different ways: on the stove, in the oven, in the microwave, or even on the grill.
The benefits of chorizos in cider are numerous. On the one hand, chorizos are an excellent source of protein, iron, and vitamin B, which help strengthen the immune system and prevent anemia. On the other hand, apple cider has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and digestive properties that help prevent cellular aging, reduce cholesterol, and improve intestinal transit. In addition, this drink has a low alcoholic content, so it is not as harmful to the liver as other liquors.
However, it should also be noted that chorizos a la cider is a high-calorie dish, which can contribute to weight gain if consumed in excess. It is also high in saturated fat and cholesterol, which can increase the risk of cardiovascular disease if abused. It is also high in sodium, which can cause water retention and increase blood pressure if consumed excessively. Therefore, drinking chorizos in cider in moderation and as part of a varied and balanced diet is advisable.
We hope you enjoy this recipe fully and are encouraged to try it. If so, remember to share your impressions. Of course, if you want to know more about Spanish dishes, we invite you to follow our publications, where you will find many ideas that will surprise you.