The magret is the breast of the duck that has been fattened to produce foie gras. This means that, as it accumulates fatter than a regular duck, its meat is juicy instead of dry, as is the case with the breasts of other poultry.
An excellent way to surprise your guests is to cook the recipe we propose today: Duck breast with red fruit sauce.
The combination of flavors and texture will leave them satisfied. In addition, it is ideal for presenting on special occasions and holidays.
Nutritional value of duck magret with red berries
Duck breast is not only a tasty dish but also very nutritious. The meat of this animal contributes to improving the symptoms of migraine and reducing stress thanks to its contribution of B vitamins. At the same time, its minerals help to strengthen the immune system.
Because it is a meat full of proteins, our organism reinforces and repairs damaged muscles more effectively.
On the other hand, of all the fats contained in duck magret, a portion belongs to monounsaturated fats (much healthier than saturated fats), which have cardioprotective properties.
Duck meat also contains potassium, a mineral that helps control blood pressure, and vitamin A, responsible for preventing, among other things, liver problems.
Red fruits, meanwhile, are a source of fiber and vitamins A and C, which give them antioxidant and antibacterial properties. As a result, their nutrients protect cells from oxidative damage, reduce the risk of inflammatory and cardiovascular diseases, reinforce the body's defenses, improve intestinal transit, and strengthen bones. In addition, they can be included in slimming diets.
How to prepare duck magret with red fruit sauce
The truth is that this is a simple recipe. It just needs a little planning and organization. The best thing to do is to cook the meat first, and once it is ready, dedicate yourself to making the sauce.
- 1 duck breast at room temperature
- 100 g of assorted red fruits (fresh or frozen)
- 200 ml of meat stock
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary (optional)
- 50 g sugar
- 50 ml water
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Prepare a syrup with the water and sugar: cook both ingredients for 5 minutes and add half of the berries. Leave on the heat for 2 minutes and blend to obtain a sauce. Set aside.
- To prepare the magret, put the meat with the skin side up and make some superficial diamond-shaped cuts on the fat side. But be very careful not to reach the core. This technique will help to reduce cooking time.
- Place the duck breast skin in a frying pan without oil over medium-low heat. Let it cook for 15 minutes until the skin has rendered all its fat. Then remove it altogether.
- Turn the heat up a little so that the skin finishes browning to taste.
- Season the magret with salt and pepper, turn it, and let it brown for another 5 minutes.
- Remove it from the pan and keep it warm with its juices. Wrap it first in baking paper and then in aluminum foil.
- Pour the beef broth into the same pan, without the fat but without cleaning it. Reduce by half and add the syrup. Cook for 2 minutes over low heat and add the remaining berries.
- Cut the duck breast into fillets and serve it bathed in the sauce and decorated with a sprig of rosemary.
Tips and tricks to obtain a luxury duck magret
- Before cooking, leaving the magrets at room temperature for about 2 hours is advisable.
- For an excellent result of the magret, it must first be cooked on the skin side to lose all the fat. After removing the skin, turn the meat and brown it on the other side for about 5 minutes, increasing the heat slightly. This way, it will be pink inside but cooked with crispy and tasty skin.
- The meat will not be tender if you cook it quickly and over high heat. If you simmer it, the meat will be tender but lose its pink color.
- To cut the magrets, use a sharp knife to cut without tearing. Ensure the cut is transversal to the fat to obtain fillets with a small strip of fat. Do not make too thin fillets because the flavor of the meat will not be appreciated well. Half a centimeter thick will be enough.
- When making the red fruit sauce, you can leave out the whole fruit if you do not like the liquid too acidic.