How do you make pork loin roast?
Pork loin roast is a very simple recipe to prepare and it is almost self-cooking in the oven. You just need to keep an eye on the cooking time and the level of liquid so that the already dry meat doesn't dry out too much. Enjoy!
Pork loin is a delicious cut, provided it is prepared properly. It happens to be a very lean cut of pork, which makes it very healthy, but at the same time, dry. Don't worry! By following a few simple tips you can obtain a juicy and golden dish that will delight everyone at the table. Young and old alike will love this baked recipe with vegetables.
The secret is to choose fresh meat; avoid buying frozen meat. It is also very important to keep an eye on the cooking time so that the meat does not overcook, as well as the level of liquid; it is necessary to rectify if you see that it is drying out. On the other hand, it is essential to seal the meat on the heat, in a sufficiently large pan or saucepan, to prevent the juices from escaping during cooking. And, of course, leave the meat at room temperature for a few hours before cooking. This will ensure that the inside of the meat is not cold when it is cooked.
- A whole ribbon of pork loin.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Freshly ground black pepper.
- Coarse cooking salt, to taste.
- A glass of brandy. Cognac or cooking wine may be substituted, but brandy is advisable.
- A sprig of rosemary.
- Half a kilo of potatoes. Try to make all the potatoes the same size as this will ensure even cooking.
- Half a kilo of carrots.
- Two medium onions.
The first thing to do is to leave the meat out of the fridge, at room temperature. If the loin is bought on the day, it is not necessary to put it in the fridge when you return from the butcher; if it is bought beforehand, leave it out well in advance and place it in a container so that it releases the water.
- Wash the loin with a little cold water and dry it well with kitchen paper.
- Season the cut on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Peel and cut the vegetables into chunks. The carrots in slices and the potatoes, depending on their size, can be cut in halves or quarters. Try to choose baking or baking potatoes. The onion can be peeled and left in rings or chopped into julienne strips.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large frying pan. The pan or saucepan should be large enough for the whole piece to fit into the pan, otherwise you will not be able to seal it evenly.
- When the oil is hot, but not burnt, place the loin in the pan to sear it. Leave it for about two minutes on each side, or until it starts to brown. Turn the pork loin so that the sear is even.
- While the pork loin is searing, preheat the oven, top and bottom heat, to 200ºC.
- When the pork loin is seared, place it in an ovenproof dish or on the tray and drizzle with brandy. Before spraying, prick the loin with a fork to allow the brandy to penetrate the interior. You can enhance the flavor with a small glass of beef stock; this step is optional.
- Once the loin is placed in the dish, surround it with the potatoes, carrots and onion.
- Season the vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil on top of the vegetables and meat.
- Add the rosemary. If you don't like it, you can substitute another aromatic herb such as thyme or oregano.
- Place the tray in the oven and cook for 50 minutes, which is the estimated cooking time. Remember that the larger the loin, the longer the cooking time.
- Halfway through the cooking time, turn the loin over using tongs.
- Adjust the liquid. You can add water, but it is advisable to pour a ladle of beef stock over the top, either from a stock cube, or home made. You can also adjust the quantity of brandy.
- If you have a cooking thermometer at home, insert it into the meat. It should be at 50ºC.
- You can make a small cut in the loin to see if the meat is done and if you like the doneness.
- You can extend the cooking time up to 60 minutes. 70, if you have not seasoned the loin in the pan beforehand.
- In this case, cover the tenderloin with aluminum foil so that the vegetables do not burn and the cut of meat does not get too brown.
- Once the loin is ready, take it out of the oven and leave it to rest in the dish in which you are going to serve it for ten minutes. This will allow the cooking juices to settle.
- Remove the vegetables and place them around the tenderloin.
- Pour the cooking sauce over the tenderloin.
- Cut the tenderloin into steaks and serve.